The MOMENTUM Projects
MOMENTUM is a suite of innovative awards funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to holistically improve voluntary family planning and maternal, newborn, and child health services in partner countries around the world.
Fundamental to MOMENTUM is the recognition that USAID-supported countries have different epidemiologic and demographic profiles and unique, country-specific challenges that require tailored support at national and sub-national levels. The suite of projects works in unison to:
- Scale and sustain access to and use of evidence-based, quality maternal, newborn, and child health services, voluntary family planning, and reproductive health (MNCH/FP/RH) care.
- Improve, institutionalize, measure, and document local capacity to deliver evidence-based, quality MNCH/FP/RH care.
- Increase adaptive learning and use of evidence among partner country technical leaders.
- Encourage innovative collaboration between MNCH/FP/RH care and other sectors.
The MOMENTUM Suite of Awards
- MOMENTUM Integrated Health Resilience works to improve access to and availability of high-quality, respectful, and person-centered MNCH/FP/RH care in fragile and conflict-affected settings. This project enhances coordination between development and humanitarian organizations and strengthens the resilience of individuals, families, and communities.
- MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership works in tandem with country governments and local nongovernmental organizations to provide targeted technical and capacity development assistance and contribute to the global technical leadership and policy dialogue on improving measurable outcomes for MNCH/FP/RH care.
- MOMENTUM Private Healthcare Delivery seeks to strengthen private provider contributions to vital health care. The project supports private providers and expands public and private partnerships to strengthen MNCH/FP/RH care.
- MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator supports monitoring and evaluation, adaptive learning, knowledge management, and strategic communication across the entire portfolio of MOMENTUM awards. The project coordinates the systematic collection, analysis, synthesis, translation, and sharing of data and learning across the entire suite and collaborates with all MOMENTUM awards to tell the collective story of MOMENTUM’s impact on MNCH/FP/RH care.
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics works to prevent future and current pregnancy-related mortality and morbidity by promoting awareness of, equitable access to, and high-quality of care for voluntary and consented safe surgeries: Caesarean delivery, fistula repair, childbirth-related hysterectomy, long-acting reversible contraception, and permanent voluntary family planning methods.
- MOMENTUM Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity focuses on the sustainable strengthening of routine immunization programs to overcome the obstacles contributing to declining immunization rates and address the barriers to reaching zero-dose and under-immunized children with life-saving vaccines and other health services.